Friday, August 19, 2011

Vietnam - Vinh - Teach Day 2

Friday, July 8th, 2011

Time to get up. Mom sleeps in.

I followed the same routine as the day before except this time Ngocy stayed in bed.

In class, I started off by collecting and returning homework. The kids had a blast laughing at the way I was pronouncing their names. Then, we reviewed some words they had learned the day before. The focus was on their enunciation. I made them repeat each word after me about 8 to 9 times. After recess, we played Jeopardy with all the words that they were to be tested on the following day. They got hella loud and it was a lot of fun. The winning team got candy (courtesy of my sister).

Morning class.





Morning class recess (8:45AM - 9:00AM). Mom is chilling in the hallway.



Ngan, Tram, and Van (left to right).



















At break, I talked to two locals about buying banh baos for the kids. Earlier that morning, I heard the banh bao biker arrived at around 5:00AM. I wasn't gonna get up that early so I paid them to pick up two boxes for me for the following day. Eighty (80) banh baos went for less than $10. Cheap.



My banh bao buyers.

These ladies are gearing up to go home for lunch.







Then we went to Big C again to get some more water bottles and do a little shopping. The same people went as the day before minus Cuong. We also made a stop to exchanged for eighty 50,000 Dong ($2.50) to give out to the class the next day, as our parting gift to my sister's students. Our last stop was at the dentist for Mommy to work on a tooth that was bothering her. The dentist fixed it fairly quickly and charged nothing. Mommy gave him $20.

Our ride to run the errands.



A clothing store right outside Big C supermarket.



We got back with 10 minutes to spare before the evening class session. The morning and evening classes both follow the same agenda so the evening session went a lot smoother than the morning session. During break, the kids, my sister, and two brothers posed for some pictures. Thunder followed by rain added an extra boost to the photo shoot.

Right outside of the classroom.













Giang.





Ngoc.









Rain.





































Lum.







After class resumed and then ended, I practiced karate with my sister and the students. Then Ngoc, Bowie, Cuong, Lum, Hai (Lum and Hai are locals helping out as Vietnam TA's), and myself head out to the beach on the mopeds. We went for a brief swim, ate a seafood dinner for $50, had some che (sweet dessert) and banh ba loc for less than $6.

I got home at 10:45PM, washed up and crashed around 11:30PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment