Friday, August 19, 2011

Vietnam - Vinh - Teach Day 1

Thursday, July 7th, 2011

I wake up at 5:00AM with the sun shining brightly through the windows into my sister's room. My alarm was set for 6:30AM but I wrestled in bed for about an hour fighting the heat after being awoken by the 4:00AM church bell, which rings loudly through the small village every dark morning.

Breakfast starts at 7:00AM for the volunteers. Mom and I joined them. There are flies all over the breakfast table. We quickly learned that the flies are a part of the food at this place. I refuse to think so and eat super light.

Breakfast table.

After breakfast, I TA for Ngocy for the first half of the morning class as she gets the agenda rolling. Morning class starts at 7:30AM and ends at 10:15AM. There is a break between 8:45AM and 9:00AM.





The classroom.



After the morning session, we headed out to the city to get some errands in. Cuong, Mommy, Sonny, Bowie, Thong, and myself (Ngoc heads to her room to sleep because she feels sick) head to Big C to get some water, snacks, and toiletries. We also ate some weak bun bo hue, exchanged some money, and picked up some cha (pork wrapped in banana leaves) and banh mi (bread).

Beer.

Drinks aisle.

Produce.









Inside Big C supermarket.

Bun Bo Hue chili.

Some Bun Bo Hue restaurant.

Random shot in the city of Vinh.





We get back in time for me to teach the 2:30pm-3:45pm and 4:00pm-5:15pm sessions.

After class, we watched the kids do karate, ate dinner with the regulars and crashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment