Friday, August 19, 2011

Vietnam - Taipei to Saigon to Vinh

Wednesday, July 6th, 2011

I landed in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon - this is the city's old name - the name is still widely used) around noon. I get stopped at the bag-check area because I left my iPhone in my backpack. The lady thought I was sneaking a new iPhone into the country. I told her it's not new and she lets me through. iPhones sell for $200 more in Vietnam than in the States so they don't allow you to bring in the Apple product unless it's your personal phone.

After I get through security and picked up my luggage, I wait outside in the heat for my ride. I don't see my brother or cousin so I waited. I waited outside for a good 20 minutes and it felt like forever. It was hot. While I waited, a bunch of taxi drivers came up to me asking if I needed a lift. I kept declining.

Finally, Bowie (my brother), Mi and Tuong (Anh Hung's kids) showed up at the airport (Tan Son Nhat International Airport - the airport in Saigon) with Anh Hung's personal driver at around 12:45PM. We stopped by Nhi Sam's (my mom's little sister) to pick up Sonny (brother) and Mommy, and I dropped off a suitcase here with some stuff that I was donating. After scooping them up, we headed over to Anh Hung's house for some bun bo hue. I unloaded another suitcase here (as I was coming back here eight days later).

Tuong, Bowie, Mom, Me, Mi (left to right).

Bun Bo Hue without the soup. Nem chua and cha (centered). Banh chung (right).

After lunch, we went back to Saigon's airport to fly out to Vinh to meet Ngocy (my sister). Our flight left Saigon around 4:00PM local time.

Tan Son Nhat International Airport.











Airplane food in a box.

We landed in the city of Vinh around 6:00PM and Ngoc was there with Thong (a local volunteer helper who assists with any loose end needs) to pick us up.













We get to the church (Lap Thach) around 6:45PM or so, toured and snapped some pictures of our lodging area, and have dinner with Michelle, Cuong, Andrew, and Crystal (4 of the other 13 volunteers). At dinner, the lights kept turning on and off in 45 seconds intervals. The other 8 volunteers are at the other church (Cau Ram) near the city's center. Ngocy tells me I'm teaching tomorrow because her voice is fading. I go to bed around 7:45PM.

My sister's classroom is in this building. First floor, left side. View from the second floor of our lodging area.

View to the left of the classroom.

View to the right of the classroom.







This is Lap Thach church. It is across from the building where we were staying in.

Three kids getting some water.

Dinner.

Andrew, Crystal, and Michelle (left to right).

Cuong is the guy in the yellow shirt. Phuong is the lady next to my Mom. She helps run EFTP (Education For The Poor).

The chef is the dude in the blue (pictured left). The other dude is Thong (pictured right).

Here are some more related pictures from my sister's camera:



























Third floor of our lodging building.



Small press room (first floor of our lodging building).









Second floor break room.

Bathroom in my sister's room.

The sink outside my sister's bathroom.



My sister's bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment