Friday, September 2, 2011

Vietnam - Saigon - Day 8 - Big Lunch & Funeral

Friday, July 22nd, 2011

This was an easy and relaxing day. I used it to recharge and reload. I got some laundry done in the early morning. At 11:30AM, we went out to this restaurant called Vuon Pho (same place Anh Hung took my sister and the other volunteers when they arrived last month). We met up with my brother and my Mom's side of the family. The following people attended the luncheon: Son, Hang, Trong, Luong, me, Tuong, Mi, Linh, Truc, Trang, Bac Phat, Anh Hung, Huong, Nhi Sam, Momma, and Hoa. The final bill was around $150. The food was solid.

Hung, Hoa, Sam, Momma (left to right).

Monkey, Hang, Trong, Luong (left to right).

Tuong, Mi, Linh (left to right).

Truc, Chi Trang, Bac Phat, Anh Hung (left to right).



















Pepper.































Family on Mom's side.

Family on Dad's side.



Right outside of the restaurant.



















Afterwards, we all went our separate ways back to our mainstays. Back at the pad, I checked the kids homework, caught up on email, and checked out the funeral festivities that were going on outside of my cousin's house. Someone next door had passed away a couple days before.



Apparently, the funeral celebration goes on for at least 3-4 days and it goes on all day and all night. Canopies, chairs, and tables are set up outside of the deceased person's home for relatives and friends to drop by with their respects. There is also banging of the drums at 4:00AM. I sleep in the room opposite to the commotion (thankfully) but even I still heard it loud and clear. I did my best to sleep through it.

Anyway, I ate dinner at home that night. We had Chinese glass noodles with eel. It was good.



Afterwards, I helped Anh Hung packed and weighed some boxes. When finding the weight of each box, Anh Hung would pick the box up and step on the scale. He'd then subtract his weight amount from that total weight amount to see if he had gone over or under the 24 kg allowed per box. We finished the measuring exhibition early so I went for a walk in the neighborhood to go get some more phone card money. I also stopped at a coffee shop to use the Wi-Fi before heading home. I got home around 10:00PM to some more food: banh nam, banh bot loc, and banh beo. Anh Hung's friend had came down from Hue to wish him a happy journey. I eat my second dinner and then gave a nice big I-am-full sigh before blacking out.

Banh beo.

Banh nam.

Tuong. Fat, pha (pha = trouble) kid.

Banh bot loc.

No comments:

Post a Comment