Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Vietnam - Saigon - Day 15 - Errands, Massage, & Martini Bar

Friday, July 29th, 2011

I get up around 10:00AM, got some laundry done, ate lunch, and headed towards downtown with Linh. Again right before I got to the bus stop, I forgot my eyeglasses receipt so I had to run back to the house and get it. We took the bus and again I was dripping but fortunately this time I at least had a seat. The bus went down Cach Mang Thang Tam (CMT8) and we got off right before Nguyen Tri Minh Khai. Before we walked down to Nguyen Trai street and made a right, we stopped and bought more phone money. My subscription had a free 50% bonus so I took advantage. Anyway, we finally get to the store where I had my prescription done with Tony three days ago. I picked up my glasses and we rolled on.

Afterwards, I wanted to walk down to the post office to pull some money but quickly remember that there's a Vietin bank near my aunt's house. Linh and I made a quick stop at Fanny's ice cream on Pham Hong Thai. We then got on the bus near there and took the ride across town to my aunt's house. The bus ride went pass Bien Vien Thong Nhat (bien vien = hospital). This was where my Dad was hospitalized 7 years ago.

When we get to my aunt's, the bank didn't allow withdrawals. I hit up the ATM outside for a couple hundred and gave my Mom some money. Then I got in the taxi with Linh on over to the bigger branch of Vietin bank on Truong Chinh. I didn't have my passport on me so I wasn't allowed to make any withdrawals.

By this time it was nearing 5:00PM so there was no way I was able to make it home and back in time with my passport. The bank closes at 6:00PM. So we went to Maximark and ate at a buffet downstairs for $5 that was pretty good. The buffet had a wide variety but it was mostly catered towards the country's liking. They did have pizza. At dinner, Linh lost a couple bets to me and as a result owed me three drinks. Afterwards, we went inside the grocery/convenient store to see if I can find any gifts for friends and family. We didn't see anything enticing so we went to the bakery store (where Sonny got some bread the other day), picked up a loaf and bounced.



Banh Bot Loc.



Oc.



When I got home, I showered, and then dressed up to go meet up with Tony. Before I was readying to leave, Bac Phat said Linh had run home real quick to help her parents out with something and she'll be back shortly. Chi Thu was out with the boyfriend so there was no one home. She wouldn't let me leave until Linh came back. I talked to Bac Phat for a good 45 minutes about my Dad and the good old days. The highlight of the talk was her telling me that she and her siblings pretended to be Communists at the height of the war to enable their family's protection. Linh eventually rings the door bell and I have her call me a cab with Mai Linh Taxi.

I get to Tony's house around 8:00PM and we biked out to the Coffee Bean near Nha Tho Duc Ba. We chattered over a couple cups of coffee while we people watched. We saw this one guy do some stupid dances near some small stairs trying to impress some girls. He failed on style but gets an "A" for effort.

After we downed our wake-me-ups, we rolled to a massage parlor. This massage parlor cost $7.50 per person and was pretty busy. We had to wait like 15 minutes until we decided to just go with the VIP room for like $5 more.

The massage was legit. It went on for about ninety minutes. You get fresh cucumbers over your eyes and hot rocks rolled down your backside. It was smooth. Our room was slightly lit, and it was quiet and peaceful. It was much needed. The girls did a solid job. I would recommend this spot. I did pick out a business card but I lost it though. I'll have to ask Tony for the address.

After the massage, Tony takes me to this one spot that has great strawberry smoothies and good dried squid. I don't remember us ordering anything though. Instead, we left to go meet up with Lys and Mimi at Martini Bar (supposedly a very high end bar in Saigon). We hung out here until 12:15AM. There were also 3 other girls there that I think were relatives of Mimi's. There was also this one guy named Tin that I briefly met at Cloud 9. Anyway, Mimi made the call to go home right after midnight so that was that.

No comments:

Post a Comment